Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Monday, August 29, 2005

Road kill

To Lim Chu Kang Road, 70 km. There are two Malaysia rides this weekend. I join neither, because of sleep deprivation. The slack ride I'd planned didn't work out as people couldn't make it or pulled out. But there's always the Thomson roadie ride. The Little Shepard Girl chats with me and says I'm brave to show up on my mountain bike. I admire her battle scars and tell her I came to see how many roadies I can pass today.

Sleep deprivation leads to hallucination. I imagine I'm in a warbird. How many road bike silhouettes can I paint below my cockpit "window"? Bringing up the rear, I have at least six confirmed kills as I catch with them at a traffic light. I pass perhaps another six who'd stopped at the Mandai Road petrol kiosk. Then I fly solo until a Trek passes me. I slip behind his slipstream and chalk up another two kills: the Trekkie looks into his victims' eyes and passes them. I pop out at a Choa Chu Kang petrol kiosk as my butt hurts like never before - this isn't follicularitis, it's muscle pain. No pain, no gain and this is my best ride yet with the Thomson roadies, with a max speed of 48.9 km/h. My drivetrain behaves itself, shifting smoothly and quietly. It's my first ride with them on my little flying Tank.

No comments: