Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Friday, August 12, 2005

Black death

Round island#9, 122 km. It's "Seventh Month" of the Chinese calendar. The month the gates of hell open. The month when mortals make offerings to appease the spirits. RebelXH tells me I'll be psychologically affected. I get goosebumps going past Singapore's biggest cemetary. At some stretches of Lim Chu Kang Road, the street lights are out. Two cyclists have died here. I look back to see if anyone is following. When I see white by the roadside, I look askance. I sing Jesus songs. At Kranji, I cycle in the middle of the road. Black death lurks in the shadows. Black shapes wait outside a gate. One shape inside the compound ducks under the gate towards me. It doesn't bark. I can hear it panting for my blood. I outrun it on my faulty drivetrain. All in all, I cycle past 10 dogs scattered throughout Kranji. I taunt those that ignore me. I take a break where a couple watches Hokkien karaoke DVD. On my little red Tank, I break my 2004 round island record. I was hoping to do it in 5, since roadies do it in 4. But I was wary of pushing too hard, lest I injure myself again (see 29 Jul entry).
Apr 2004 record: 6 hours, actual cycling time 5 hr 4 min, ave speed 24.2 km/h.
Aug 2005 record: 5 hr 25 min, actual cycling time 4 hr 49 min, ave speed 25.4 km/h. Includes time spent during four breaks and traffic lights.

No comments: