Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Choose your poison

Aug distance: 932 km

To Old Upper Thomson Road, 29 km. Three big meetings this week, one involving a multi-million dollar budget and two involving decisions that'll make the news. And more to come next week. All this leaves me breathless. To catch my breath, I go ... cycling. It's counter-intuitive, but much of life is like that. Like the tragedy of the commons. I cycle in a park, where pedestrians and cyclists are supposed to coexist, just like cyclists are supposed to coexist with motorised vehicles on the road. So, which is more lethal: collision with pedestrians or vehicles? But this cyclist looks out for pedestrians and assume they will be unpredictable. Whereas drivers don't care two hoots about riders, though they may deign to toot their horn in irritation. On this ride, two old men say "good evening" to me as I cycle past. Whereas a group of youngsters saunter in front of me though the light has turned against them.

No comments: