Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Grinding up Genting

Fri 15 - Sat 16 Apr:
To Genting Highlands, Pahang, Malaysia, 105 km. Looks like shit. Wait a minute, it IS shit. Bird shit on my waterbottle, on my bicycle, on the rooftop car rack, as we whizz from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. It's Saturday morning rush hour as we do a "warm up" ride at 37-40 km/h. It's ok for the roadies but as the sole mountain biker ... HHL too has become a roadie and is ahead with the rest of them on her two-week old Orbea Vitesse. I fare better as we cycle up 26 km towards the 1,800 m peak. She overtakes me, I stick to her wheel then go up a 10-degree gradient while she waits. All of us DNF (did not finish), perhaps 6 km from the top, as we run out of time. What a shame. I'd hoped to break my "highest altitude" personal record. Going downhill, my speedometer fails. 0 km/h, it reads. More like 50 km/h. I'm the last man as the girls turned back earlier while the other guys led the group of 5. It's a sickening ride back to Singapore.

No comments: