Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Green-eyed monster


To Choa Chu Kang, 88 km. When we reach the finish line of Hunt on Wheels treasure hunt, we weren't the first. Some of the places and clues are hard to deal with, and we wait for a team member to catch up. Several teams pass us by. Just 15 minutes separate us from the first team (their time 03:07:00). There are six prizes for 30 teams. We're third (our time 03:21:58; six minutes behind second team 03:15:59). Our prizes are so-so; the winning team gets $1,000 worth of prizes, including OGK helmets and CamelBaks. My satisfaction at being third withers when I see the winners with their loot. What a terrible thing envy is. There's reason to be happy: no one got killed or maimed and we did win prizes - including a hamper of cooking oil(!) and airhorns. I learn some lessons on teamwork too:

When you're in the team, you gotta work. It ain't called teamWORK for nothing. We can only move as fast as the slowest worker. Our slowest cyclist is sporting and doesn't complain about the pace; we race for over three hours without rest!
We win as a team, or lose as a team. They made me the team leader. Sometimes, I shouldn't have listened to their advice (they were wrong). Sometimes, I'm glad I listened to their advice (I was wrong). What's important is, we correct the wrongs and (literally) move on.
Keep the goal in mind. We saw the prizes after the race and one of us said: "Should've cycled faster." Yeah.
The race is organised by Yew Tee Zone 11 Residents Committee.
Photo courtesy of pcss38

No comments: