Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, May 02, 2004

Heart jumps, speedo jumps

To Lim Chu Kang, 68 km. I'm so sleepy eyed, my contact lens falls off five times before I get it right. I amble along Seletar Reservoir, trying to shake off thoughts about work. Five leggy white roadies tear past me. I rev up, overtaking one of them. I hang on grimly to tail the rest. My heart jumps as my speedometer jumps: 40, 47, 54 km/h. I keep up as a red light slows (but doesn't stop) them. They rest at Kranji, I press on after another white roadie in a Cycle Worx jersey on a Fondriest. He drops me finally. I detour to the end of Lim Chu Kang road, with its floating rubbish, then amble south when I see another group of roadies - locals. One of them says "hi". They go at a more humane pace: 31-33 km/h. I spoil it by overtaking them, then regret my rashness. Two of them up the ante, going at 38 km/h. A lorry stops in front. The lead cyclist stops, the one behind me yells: "Car ... WATCH OUT!". It looks safer to me than riding at East Coast, so I pass, tailing yet another group of roadies ahead. We part company. I cycle alone up along Mandai Road when another roadie blasts past on a red Santa Cruz. Here we go again. What a blast! Sure makes up for the Malaysia ride I miss this weekend. Today, besides carbo, I am "fuelled" by two charcoal tablets.

No comments: