Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Good vibrations

May distance travelled: 484 km

Three-quarter island, 109 km. For so long, I've not heard my bicycle sound so happy. It purrs with pleasure on knobby tyres instead of slicks. Like it's happy to be reunited with the tyres it came with nine years ago (I'd replaced them on 1 Mar 03 with slicks). Anyway, knobbies are made for mountain bikes, they sound, look and feel better. This is such a multi-sensory experience - hear the purring, feel the wind, smell the air, feel the good vibrations from the tyres through your feet, and taste the sweat. Today is another long distance training ride, with seven cyclists. It the first time I'm leading a ride with a Caucasian. At East Coast, we pass by a couple on a tandem bike, their aluminium thermos matching their grey hair. The Englishman bursts into song about a bicycle built for two. Further down the road, people start dropping out; one at Kallang, another at West Coast, and a couple more at Choa Chu Kang. At the end, it's just sweeper Papa Bear and me; everyone else in between has gone home. Just as well; it starts to pour and my just-cleaned bicycle gets dirty again.

No comments: