Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Time with the master

Jul distance: 962 km

To Upper Thomson Road, 25 km. When there's an intractable problem, I visit the "kung fu" master. My chain and sprockets aren't getting along after my rear derailleur "drowned" during a downpour on my way to Kuala Lumpur. The bikeshop man in Seremban, Malaysia, says my rear d is no longer springy. Kung fu master disagrees. He says the rear d cable has a steep angle in it - poor design of lug position on the frame. He tries to swap the cable positions, oils the cable, fiddles with the barrels and teaches me how to do the same. Other solutions: get a riser bar, or grip shift. It's puzzling why the problem arises only after the drowing. Perhaps a dirty chain has aggravated the problem. Master charges me $3. The man in Seremban had charged me RM3. Which what that what costs $1 in Singapore may cost RM1 in Malaysia - eg food, beverage and groceries.

No comments: