Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Last among the first


To Changi and Bukit Timah, 112 km. The last training ride for the National University centennial ride. Over 20 of us, comprising undergraduates, staff and alumni, cycle in two groups, with me in the first. As we speed along, a police car pulls us all over. "Ride in single file," say the guys in blue. But for some reason, motorists prefer to pick off single file riders. Which is how some bikers have died. I guess that's why even fish, fowl and other fauna travel in packs. But man's law prevails over the law of nature. As the day wears on, I fizzle out. Overheating (I'm the only one in the dark blue team jersey that soaks up the sun) and lack of sleep mean I bring up the rear now and then during the last legs, despite speeds of over 40 km/h. Though I start well, it counts for not. It ain't how you start, it's how you finish. Rain cuts short the ride. One roadie says road bike brakes work less well when wet compared to mountain bike (MTB) brakes. If this is so, all the more reason I'm glad my new frame is an MTB.
Photo courtesy of Keith N

No comments: