Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, March 20, 2005

"Road of blue shirts"

To Lim Chu Kang, 88 km. Once, there was probably someone by the name Lam Sam. Or maybe this is a road where people with blue shirts gathered. It probably wound its way past farms, huts and wells, fruit trees and dirt tracks where kids played. Now, it's a lorry park and a protected area beyond the gate. Another road to the past forsaken to preserve the future, for another army training zone. No bicycles allowed; I see two hubs on the ground, with spokes sticking out like sea urchins. Since a bike can't be decapitated, rip out the rims instead to scare other bikers.

This morning starts well; I join the Sunday Thomson Roadies to see how I stack up after last week's intensive "training ride". My best speed! Though I lose everyone at Old Upper Thomson Road as usual, today I catch up with the tail at a traffic light. For the first time, I cycle via Sembawang Road to Mandai Road. I pass JN at the Shell petrol kiosk. He flashes a thumbs up (there're three Bike N Blade riders today including me). I chase two roadies to Kranji but they drop me. I amble along until some NUS guys pass, including Mauritian R. I blast past them, past the memory lane that's Lorong Rusuk. Today's ride takes me past all the PCRT training grounds. Some roadies pass me and we leap frog each other at Choa Chu Kang, until they shoo me away. I revert to tourist mode and check out Jalan Lam Sam.
Tech note JN is test riding an aluminium Bianchi frame that's cracked and welded back. He asks if I'll get a road bike. Being a scaredy cat, I'll stick to my steel steed ...

No comments: