Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Saturday, July 10, 2004

Strange ride down memory lane

To Sembawang, 40 km. The road sign is gone, but the road is still there. Sort of anyway. It just peters out. Over 20 years ago, I'd hiked through Jalan Ulu Sembawang to Marsiling. Now, signs tell me to get lost. At Kampong Wak Hassan, which is also a shadow of its former self, a police van with lights flashing passes me, followed by a jeep with a machine gun mounted on it. I see a tandem bike with front suspension. And at St John's Road, which is near Canada Road (no kidding), I see two bunkers. Why would anyone build military fortifications in a residential area? Tough question, but no answer. It's easier to answer the question why I'm cycling today instead of Sun: I gotta work tomorrow. That means I've worked the equivalent of eight days this week. To stay sane, I ride today. And drop by three bike shops too to cheer myself up. Today marks the day I've ridden my horse past 13,000 km.

No comments: