Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Perspiration at Bukit Chandu

To Bukit Chandu, 83 km. Finding this place was serendipity. To pay homage to the memories of war heroes at "Reflections at Bukit Chandu", I cycle up the hill. The reward is multi-media and static displays of Malays who fought the Japanese to the end. Some of the survivors were offered their freedom if they took off their uniforms, but they chose to die in them. They merely delayed the onslaught of the enemy, who'd biked down Peninsula Malaysia. There are photos of them carrying their 10 kg rifles, battle gear and heavy steel bicycles as they go off road. At the museum is a tin cup, the only keepsake left to a widow by her warrior husband.

I also discover the picturesque Pandan Reservoir; I have the whole place to myself. And come across two bikeshops (Heap Hong and Tan Bike Shop) for the first time. I meet WC at the latter. What an interesting solo ride today. I'd wanted to ride with the Bike Aiders, but heavy workload leads to heavy eyelids and I spend 11 hours in bed this morning.

No comments: