Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Farewell that never was

To Mandai, 40 km. I remember helping to deliver a crate of oranges to him just before Chinese New Year in the early 1990s. Yesterday, former President Wee Kim Wee was cremated. Today, I cycle to the columbarium in black and white to pay my last respects. But that was not to be; there are so many blocks and so many with flowers, I don't know where to go. Unlike the usual Chinese cemetary, the columbarium, with the sound of gurgling water, feels peaceful. I don't get to say goodbye and reluctantly cycle away in the night. The first time I went to a president's funeral was in 1981; Dr Benjamin Sheares' sister had taught me. He was an old boy of the school too. As if my weekend isn't bad enough (I work tomorrow), I get chased by dogs too.

No comments: