Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Surreal ride

Jun distance travelled: 349 km


To Tuas West, 106 km. Talk about hot money. The sun's rays beat into my wallet and my coins radiate heat. At a SPC petrol kiosk in Tuas, the cashier asks if I've petrol. Beside me is a rack full of bicycle tools. I've not seen such an array, not even in a bike shop. Cheaper too. The only creatures out in the open are a few stray dogs and some ang moh bikers. So it's true about mad dogs and Englishmen being out at mid-day. I reach a dead end - the entrance to a live firing area. Though death lurks afoot, it is so picturesque. I stop by a Christian cemetary, with its colourful flowers dotting the green grass, and windmills blowing in the wind. One of them has a smiley on it. The signs prohibiting the burning of paper money are incongruous. I cycle on. The vegetation towers on either side of me. Bamboo arches across the road, forming a canopy. A man emerges from the side, carrying a durian. Dogs bark. I halt. Another man says it's a dead end. I head off-road in my 1.25" slicks to join the main road.

No comments: