Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, June 20, 2004

Bikes, babes and a little blood

To Paya Lebar, 44 km. This is the third consecutive year I've taken part in Runway Cycling. It's a bike fest. I see: a single speed decked out like a roadster, with chrome and shoulder-high handlebars. A motorbike with a folding bicycle on board. Biker babes too, but just a scattering of them. I'm at the start line early, so that at flag off, I only have scores instead of thousands of people ahead of me. Moments after flag off, we're cycling at 39 km/h and above. Strangely enough, there are few roadies ahead. There are some rollerbladers in front, but they are soon left behind. And so am I, by the lead riders - two guys drafting the lead vehicle. A dozen others overtake me. I cross the finish line barely 30 minutes after flag-off. I cycle around in circles, waiting for the lucky draw. I reckon there are many unclaimed prizes that day. There aren't any goody bags either, unlike before. Still, I get to chat with the legendary WC, with her smiley orange bunny buddy on her handlebar. I have a health check-up too, including a blood test, courtesy of NKF. "You look tired," says one of the staffers. Well, I've had four hours of fitful sleep. So much work, so little adventure.

No comments: