Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Mind-blowing experience

To Sedili Kechil, Johore, Malaysia, 230 km. The wind blowing south is so strong, the trees seem to bow permanently before it. There's a stretch of trees where the wind seems to have stripped all the leaves. The wind certainly leaves me gasping; even the roadies are going just above 20 km/h. The headwind, hills, plus lack of a proper lunch, cut my speed by 60%. A couple drop out, leaving the 15 of us, mostly roadies, out of sight ahead of me. Still, it's good to know there are fellow bikers ahead and behind me. This is an interesting bunch, some known, some new. An architect who designs bikes, an owner of an on-line business, a brand manager and a 46-year-old triathlete who trains five times a week. I'm in the slower group which comprises mainly mountain bikers, unlike the other roadies on this Soul Bikes ride. But Day 2 sees me break away in my group; for some reason, I'm able to cycle a mean pace even uphill and fully laden with my gear. While yesterday was a real drag, today put things in perspective: it's great to be alive. Just about the only thing that marred the ride is almost being wiped out by two buses in Johore. Of course, they are Singapore buses. Tech note Replaced rear tyre (Panaracer Pasela) with new tyre (Panaracer T-Serv).
Photo courtesy of Buffedupboy

No comments: