Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Gone to the dogs

Bukit Timah, 59 km. The pack of five dogs in the distance keeps me a safe distance away. They look at me and leave me alone instead of lunging at me. They don't even bark menacingly. But I don't dare cycle into their territory though there's only one way to get to where I want to go - and that's through the pack.

I'm not into chunks of torn flesh from my legs or a torn throat so I head south instead. In broad daylight, I see I've somehow avoided various rods and sticks stuck into the ground when I cycled in the night last week. Just as well I didn't go far in the night: major bridges have been taken out. I suppose it costs less to dismantle them than to maintain them. The "through train" is no longer possible; detours needed to stay on track. No wonder there's only 1 soul around besides me. It's not so fun anymore.

On the bumpy and sometimes muddy ground, I barely make 17 km/h, whereas, on hard packed dirt, 25 km/h is just a cheerful spin.

Tech note: it has been thousands of km since it last happened, but my chain is skipping like a hyperactive kid.  And it has been tens of thousands of km since I've heard "thunk" with crank coming to a sudden halt. Chain suck, that sucks! All these are warning sounds that transmission is winding down and expenditure will rise ...

No comments: