Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Monday, February 02, 2004

In trouble with LAW

Sun 1 - Mon 2 Feb:
To Kukup, Johore, Malaysia, 223 km. I'm in trouble with LAW. Lost. Alone. Wet from the rain. Three guys (including AD and SY) ride to Kukup. Two decide to take the ferry back. I hit the road - my first solo ride in Malaysia. I study the map - there's a short cut. It turns out to be a "long cut", adding another 14 km to the ride. It could've been worse. I could've got a puncture in the rain. Or not met the Indian motorcyclist who tells me the way to go, then waits at a junction to show me the way. I cycle for three hours, with only one break of 10 minutes. The other four stops are to check directions; I'm lost in a scenic but barren place with no watering hole. As for the rain: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink. Back in Johore Bahru, a shopkeeper tells me the place has changed a lot, unlike my map.

Kukup is a village on stilts above the sea. Mud skippers as big as your hand and crabs as small as your thumb make tracks on the tidal flats. Riding a century to get there isn't torture. But the karaoke from neighbouring chalets sure is.

Tech note I find another grain of sand in my tyre. I change both tyres to 1.25" slicks so I can cycle harder, faster and longer.
Photo courtesy of AD

No comments: