Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Too fast, too furious

Aug distance travelled: 747 km

To Lim Chu Kang, 68. Someone asked me once: "Why do you ride so fast?" My reply (in Mandarin): "Yao kuai cai shuang kuai" (it's fun only when it's fast). Well, today is almost too fun for me. It's my first ride with the Upper Thomson roadies who meet outside OCBC Bank. I'm just about the only one on a mountain bike; the other 60 or so are roadies. A few minutes before 0830, they set off at a fast and furious pace. I strain to keep the lead riders in sight but it's all over for me along Mandai Road. I pass a group who stop there for a break, then they blast past me. Another lone rider passes me and I draft him, hanging on grimly like death. I see other cyclists ahead; the only reason I overtake them is because they're taking it easy. One hour of fun so far and I break with a handful of others at Choa Chu Kang. None of the lead cyclists have stopped. I meet the acquaintance of J, a Japanese riding a 25-year-old single speed. He's got several bicycles here and in Japan, and he stocks up spare parts when he finds them for his retro bikes. I also meet some Ascender cyclists for the first time.

No comments: