Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Shine and rain

Jalan Bahar, 99 km. We're supposed to cycle today, rain or shine. First, it shines. The scorching kind of shine. First, a really late comer. In the maze of roads, I figure she'll be lost so I go look for her.

Then, a guy has a problem with his front derailleur. The barrel adjuster fails to adjust as it is out of the barrel :o Another pain-in-the-fingers repair job. Even after I fix the barrel adjuster, the chain remains on the granny gear. I look at the derailleur itself and adjust what's left of the frayed cable so the chain remains on the middle chain ring. Sooner rather than later, the cable snaps. Rental bikes ...

Then, in the heat, hills and off road, a guy cramps repeatedly and walks. When he catches up, applause breaks out. We haven't reached where we're supposed to, but getting to where we are has taken longer than planned.

And so we break for lunch. Organiser says, everyone buys the sweeper (me) coffee. Not that I drink the stuff. During lunch, the late comer buys me an isotonic drink for looking out for her. Sweet. A few others offer handshakes.

And then we part. Dark clouds form, water falls. Ah well, at least it helps wash off some of the mud.

Back home, I realise my thumb - and head - aches. It's been a long day.

No comments: