Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Misaligned

Woodlands, 63 km. I usually don't cycle so soon after an expedition, but I do want to get my bicycle fixed and clear my head. I pass bikeshop man a front derailleur I'd found in my storeroom. He says its compatible, breaks the chain, installs it then goes "huh". Incompatible. He reads my mind that I don't want to break the chain again, nor do I really want to reinstall the previous, worn-out-and-rattling front d. He digs up a second hand front d and sells it for half price. He adjusts the rear d and makes it worse.

It shifts well on the stand but not on the road, under load. I ask if the rear d hanger is bent. He uses a long tool for precise adjustment and alignment. Soon, all is well. The rattling chain is gone. The rear d shifts well, like a hot knife cuts through butter - effortless, soundless. The occasional clunk when I pedal still happens, but mostly it is smooth sailing. It feels so good, when things are aligned.

No comments: