Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Unearthly hour


Mar distance: 251 km

Changi, 104 km. Usually when i cycle for a cause, it is for fundraising. Today, it is to help T mix cycling with Earth Hour, involving over two dozen cyclists.

My hand hurts from adjusting rusty, slow "quick releases" to raise saddles. I stop clanking spokes and later help fix a puncture (T patches it with a piece of rubber from an old inner tube and super glue). We stop at Marina Bay to picnic, see some of the city lights go out, hear a recorded speech via MP3 and portable speakers, and sing a song. On a lighter note, I'd like to think I have a small carbon footprint. I don't have a carbon frame :p and use components until they wear out and beyond repair.

Some helpers break off: a sweeper and marker. I want to go home, but I'm the only one with a bicycle pump. Cyclists string out on the way back to return their rented bicycles in Changi, so i do double duty - sometimes a sweeper and sometimes a marker, when I rush forward to a junction and show which way to turn. By the time my "duties" are done, it is almost midnight and I get home the next day.

No comments: