Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Win some, lose some

Woodlands, 53 km. Getting out to cycle felt like a chore and as I head out I am already looking forward to coming home. I plod along uphill, feeling lethargic after the late morning rain, when a cyclist on a folding bicycle blasts past me. I start up and keep up. There is a slight downhill and he clocks 38 km/h. Big guy on tiny wheels, with a weight advantage when going downhill. I think to myself, he'll be disadvantaged when there's an uphill because of his weight, but then, he's the one who pulled ahead of me uphill. I'm not sure how long more I could've kept up the pace on my fat tyres, and I'll never know as I peel away eastwards at a junction then throttle back while he keeps heading south. Not that it matters. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. What matters is how the "portfolio" does as a whole.

No comments: