Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Two birds, a rock and a hard place

Changi, 59 km. The bird in the hand: annual year-end expedition. Bird #1 in the bush: marathon in Dec. Bird #2: 24-hour endurance charity ride in Nov. Rock: "did not start" (DNS) or "did not finish" (DNF) for Bird #1 which I've been training for most of the year. Hard place: DNS or DNF for Bird #2, where I aim to break my single-day distance record of 225 km, set in Nov 04, by doing a double American century (320 km). A DNS or DNF would be a blot on my record of 100% completion for all four foot races, 11 bicycle races, 6 charity rides and 5 "epic" rides. Tonight's training ride puts things in painful perspective: I've not recovered from my leg injury. Though I'm on slick tyres, I can barely keep up with a roadie going at 38 km/h. My leg hurts; it's only by varying ankle angle, and pulling my pedals rather than pushing down that I get home. Moral of the story: If I want everything, I may end up with nothing. Greed is greatly destructive. After all, sub-prime loans is about getting something from those who don't have enough to give, isn't it? Well, perhaps I could get something ...

No comments: