Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Misery is free (in the short run)

Aug distance: 196 km

Tampines, 22 km. Last Sunday, I ran my first half marathon. It's the furthest I've run in my life. Physiological pain follows. That's bearable compared to psychological pain. Sadness is when you need to cry, but tears do not come. When you need to sleep, but lie awake waiting for day break. When you need cycletherapy, but the rain falls. For the first time in my life, I leave home while the rain falls. After checking the weather "nowcast" and making a gamble though the forecast is gloom. I win the gamble. While grey clouds are all over, there are gaps where the sun shines through. Though tears do not wet my eyes, at least I have eyes. Though sleep does not come, at least I have a comfy bed. Though the rain falls, at least I get to cycle. Misery is free. It would've been so easy to stay home and wallow. Lifting yourself out of a funk is costly in the short run but in the long run it may cost less than staying miserable.

No comments: