Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Confidence in confidence?

Apr distance: 237 km

Holland Plain, 40 km. A pack of dogs bark at me at Bukit Brown Cemetary but I ride past them as the people around somehow give me confidence that the dogs won't attack. If I were alone, I'd have turned tail at the mere sight of the beasts. Somewhere in Bukit Timah, there is a trail that leads to another land. The trail bends about 45 degrees to the right and tilts about the same angle up. Twice, I assault it and twice I fail. The bend scrubs speed off and the stones uphill stall me. When I'm up there, my confidence falters. If I am faster, I might've picked the right line. Since I'm not confident, I don't ride fast enough and sure enough, I fail. Or is confidence over-rated; such that no matter how much I try, the slope is unassailable? Well, two tries isn't enough, given the low cost of the assault.

No comments: