Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Avoid darkness

Tampines Trail, 37 km. It looks crazy. For my first ride after I wash my bike, I cycle off-road beneath grey clouds. With the intelligence of a clod of earth, I end up in orange muck. With feet ala Donald Duck. And front brakes caked with clay. A deep trench cuts me off - a trench so deep and wide, it can swallow whole both man and bicycle. It's filled with water too. I find a way across, walking gingerly over a little "dam" of earth. All I wanted to do was see whether I should sign up for "Enduro 100" (100 km off-road race). Back on the proper trail, I don't fall since I avoid darkness like a moth, steering clear of where darkness signals pitfalls as clearly as a lighthouse signals. The 100 km route isn't ready. Nor am I. Think I'll just keep training for marathon. It's cleaner too; I don't need the services of jet spray so strong, the jet keeps the user upright as he leans into it to wash a lorry.

No comments: