Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Dripping blood, dangling flesh

Apr distance: 691 km

To Tampines Mountain Bike Trail, 58 km. I've gone down this circuit a few times and have had a few close calls. But today is the first time I overtake someone. And the first time I crash. Simulating race conditions, I push myself to the edge and fall off it. Going fast, I overshoot a corner. I right myself. But fall. It's as if the trail edge of gravel gave way. I fall on my face. I lie there, conscious that the seconds are speeding away. Should I give up? I see some lacerations on my leg, the longest one being 7 cm of white flesh and dripping blood. I pull the skin dangling off it and get up. My helmet saves me again. I finish five laps in almost 38 minutes, with a bent rear D (again). How awful. Back in the shade, the guy I overtook says, "It's not worth it." He's right. How many micro-seconds can I save in one corner, vs the minutes and damage that attempt may cost if it goes awry? Risk vs reward: a lesson that's valuable for play and work.

No comments: