Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Compassionate or conned?

To Mandai Rd, 42 km. The usually deserted road past the columbarium is jammed today, as the live visit the dead. With my semi-slicks, I do one lap along Mandai. My body still aches from yesterday. On the return leg, I spot a roadie and slip past him. He sits on my tail for a while, then blasts past as I strain at 41 km/h. My mind also drifts to the past, to 2003 when I last had my semi-slicks on. Those were they days, when my friends would cycle to Johore for off-road. Now, those days are gone. Also gone is $2.90. I stop when a man at a bus stop calls out. He says his company bus had left without him and he needs to get to work. He asks for $2.90 and I dig it out for him. It could be a con; he sounds slick and if he wanted train fare, why didn't he ask at the station? But it could be for real: why didn't he just take what I'd given him and look for another sucker, rather than take the risk and ask for $0.90 more?

No comments: