Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Rejected? Rebound

Dec distance: 1,265 km

To Paya Lebar Road, 25 km. With my constant shifting problem, it's time to see the man who's got several pieces of paper saying he's qualified to fix bicycles. He says the cure to my rear derailleur problem is a clean drive train. But I can't keep it that clean when I spend days on the road. And a dirty drive train hasn't derailed my old Iron Horse. His reply: different bicycles have their own characteristics. So, this is the curse of the Iron Horse: abandon old faithful, get a new bike and the old one haunts you. Bikeshop man says there's no hardware solution to my shifting problem other than cleaning and greasing, and he can't do it for me today. He shows me free of charge how to remove and clean derailleur cables. Every bit of friction removed counts, he says. It's the same with people ...

No comments: