Cycling is like life. Cycling with no goal is meaningless. What meaning is there cycling in circles? Or living aimlessly? Meaning comes from direction and destination. Join me in my life's journey on a mountain bike :)

Blogging since 2003. Thank you for reading :))

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Rebounded and refreshed

From Paya Lebar to Mount Faber to Ang Mo Kio, 46 km. $28 can buy happiness. Going to the bike workshop (to collect my bicycle after servicing) is like going to a doctor. Certificates hang on the wall. And charts state"consultation" fees for different services. The last time my drivetrain looked so new was when it was made. The last time it was silky smooth was on its virgin ride. The cause of the poor rear shifting is rust, says the bike doctor. And deterioration in the 6-month old cable housing, which he replaces. I cycle up Mount Faber. Another guy is on the hill; I slip past him and slow down at the peak. He passes, we chat at the foot of the hill and he blasts away after that. He says he trains on the hill daily. Man, I'm out of shape. I almost get rolled out of shape too, as a container truck overtakes me while I overtake an old man on a bike. "Slowly, slowly," he smiles. Our handlebars are "wingtip to wingtip". One false move, and I'd gone under the truck's wheels.

No comments: